Can you share a bit about your business and what you do?
“My’s Creations” is my small baking business. I specialize in custom cakes, sugar cookies, cupcakes, cake pops, and even strawberry boxes. Anything that can make a special occasion or event even more special, I’m your gal!
When and why did you decide to start cakes + special treats?
I started baking about 1.5 years ago. It was my oldest son’s 4th birthday. On his previous birthdays, I would order custom cakes and treats for his parties. When it came around to his 4th birthday, I wanted to give it a try and make him a custom cake and other custom desserts. It turned out quite well, and guests at the event even complimented my baked goods and said I could make a living out of this! I started small by doing orders for friends and family, but once words got out and people started referring me and showcasing my work, business picked up!
What do you love most about running your own business?
I love that I am my own boss! I work under my own time, and it really gives me the freedom to be as creative as I can. I love that I could be at home with my children but also be working. I also love the personal conversations and new friendships I get to make with my returning customers.
What are your overall goals for your business?
My overall goal is to keep growing and growing. Some may see it as just baked cookies or cakes. Still, to many, it serves as a celebration of a new life (baby shower), a new job, a birthday surprise, and a way to congratulate newlyweds or brides-to-be. I would love to make more people happy with my creative baked goods and to bring smiles to people’s faces when they open their box. One day, I would LOVE to open an interactive bakery where I sell baked goods and hold classes or sessions for adults/kids to come and learn how to decorate cookies (because I find it really fun and relaxing).
A few other things you need to know:
- I currently do not cater, but have had people order in large amounts for events that go as high as 300 cookies per order.
- Delivery within San Jose/Milpitas/Fremont for a delivery fee (based on the distance from my home)
- All of my orders are custom orders. Almost no two orders are the exact same! It is whatever the customers want and request.
- I also sometimes do custom vinyl decor. Some may add a touch of personalization onto the outside of their bakery box (for additional fees).
- I provide custom edible logos for almost all of my baked products and the additional fees added. Whatever the customer wants, they will get. If it is out of their budget zone, I often offer alternative ideas that could better fit their range.